Sheffield’s pub heritage – Fagan’s

Barrel 1815 map Fagan’s, originally ‘The Barrel’ is documented on an 1815 map. This indicates that the current left-hand room was, at that time, a neighbouring tenement, the pub and the tenement sharing a yard at the rear of the property. The last major change to the interior was in 1953 (architect, John Foster):
  • an extension which includes the current inside toilets.
  • removal of an internal wall opposite the bar, thus opening up the tap room into the current larger, ‘Lounge Hall.’ The walls were covered in full height ply panels and the fixed seating looks to date from then. Front windows have ‘Public’ and ‘Lounge’ etched and frosted panels.
There have only been three licensees in the past 100 years: ex-Bomber Command, Joe Fagan ran the pub from 1947 to 1985 becoming Tetley’s longest serving landlord. A new sign was erected in 1985. When the sign rotted, this was replaced in 2008 with a sign which shows a photo of Joe against a bomber.  Joe died only a few weeks after passing on the tenancy to the current Landlord, Tom Boulding. On the front right is a tiny snug originally called the dram shop – a pub room name only seen in the Sheffield area (the wording appears in the ceramic exterior of the Ship, Shalesmoor). The snug has a very old counter and the walls are covered with ply panelling. Sheffield artist Pete McKee, famous for his comic cartoon paintings, took to the streets of Sheffield in April 2013 to a bigger canvas: the gable end of Fagan’s is the home of one of Pete’s projects, ‘The Snog‘. At the time, this was the largest mural painted by Pete. The mural on the gable end at Fox Valley (Stocksbridge), completed in May 2016, dwarves this example. In the 19th.century, the pub was owned by local brewer, Rawsons. In turn ownership passed to Gilmours, Tetleys, Allied Breweries and, currently, Punch Taverns. Early in September, Fagan’s will be the start point for a Pub Heritage Walk, as part of the Heritage Open day weekend. On Friday 9th.September, the walk will take place twice: 14:00 and 17:30. Places are limited and may be booked via Eventbrite: 14:00 start: 17:30 start:  – Dave Pickersgill & Mick Slaughter SheffieldCityCentre-Fagans-RearRoom

One thought on “Sheffield’s pub heritage – Fagan’s

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.