Maurice Champeau is the new manager at the Crookes Social Club, some will know him from his days as bar manager at the Hearty Oak in Dronfield Woodhouse. Plans are afoot to improve the real ale range at the club, more next month!
The Tickled Trout in Barlow reopened after extensive refurbishment on August 5th. Owners Derek and Chris Mapp, together with their management team of Margaret Robbin, Tom Schofield and Lauren White welcome all customers, both old and new, to the much improved premises. Four real ales are available on handpump. Regular is Timothy Taylor’s Landlord. there will be three guest beers at all times. At the reopening these were Oldershaw Heavenly Blonde (an excellent sample was enjoyed), Abbeydale Moonshine and Welbeck Abbey Portland Black. Quality food is served daily (pub closed Mondays).
The Bowhsaw Inn (Toby Carvery) at Bowshaw roundabout near Dronfield reopened after refurbishment in mid-July.
A planning application to replace the car park in front of the Robin Hood pub in Millhouses with an outdoor space have been rejected by Sheffield Council Planning Committee. The planning application was to pave the area and install a heated ‘jumbrella.’ Almost 30 residents objected as they feared the move would force customers to use already limited parking nearby, affecting them and local traders. Following an hour-long debate Councillors voted 10-2 against the plans, despite a recommendation to approve being made by council officers. They also decided to add extra weight to a planning condition from alterations approved in 2001, which said parking facilities must be retained.
30 years ago, in July 1984, Theakston’s brewery was sold to Matthew Brown of Blackburn. MB were later taken over by Scottish and Newcastle. To-day Theakston’s is independent again.
Sheffield band, the Everly Pregnant Brothers have taken on The Shakespeare at Heeley. It will soon become The Brothers’ Arms. The six-piece Sheffield band is leasing the building from pubco Punch Taverns, who will carry out a refurbishment. The Brothers’ Arms will be free of any tie to a specific brewery.
A planning application has been submitted for a residential development on the site of the currently closed Fleur de Lys pub in Totley.
The current building was built on the site of previous pubs in 1933 – ‘Mock Tudor’ style – a popular 1930’s style for both houses and pubs. Possible sources of the Fleur de Lys name are: (i) the heraldic iris on the coat of arms of the Barker family who lived at Totley Hall OR ii) the arms of King Edward III who was King of both England and France.
Angel at Spinkhill update – to confirm: all monies are now in place from both community offered loans and the principal investor group. Completion of the purchase of The Angel is all set to be completed towards the end of August as planned. Hopefully we’ll see the pub open again before too long!
The New Barrack Tavern is hosting a charity music festival over the weekend of 22nd to 24th August.