The Sheffield & District Public House Trust Co. Ltd. held the lease for the Rising Sun at Nether Green from 1908 until 1968. The company was acquired by Courage Barclay and Simonds in 1966, transferring to Newark-based James Hole & Co. Ltd. until 1968 when John Smith’s took over.
The Trust (registered office, 7 Paradise Square) appears in Kelly’s Directory of Sheffield, 72nd edition (1968), as running the Rising Sun, the George IV on Langsett Road, the Wagon and Horses Tea Room on Abbeydale Road South, and the Atlas Hotel at Brinsworth.
As for the Rising Sun, documents held in the Sheffield Archives show how the cost of the lease from the Sheffield Town Trustees slowly rose throughout the 20th century – £175 pa in 1908 rises to £210 in 1929, £350 in 1950 and a final lease in 1964 for £800.
We would be interested in more information regarding the Trust – please contact: email@example.com