The Old Queen’s Head, next to Sheffield Interchange, is believed to be the oldest domestic building in Sheffield. It began life as a hunting lodge for the nearby Sheffield Castle, and was built in the late 15th century for the Earl of Shrewsbury. A later Earl was the jailer of Mary, Queen of Scots, from whom the pub probably takes its name. It is now the only pub in Sheffield with Grade II* listing by Historic England (the other was the Carbrook Hall, no longer a pub). It is known to have become a beer house by the 1840’s and additions were made to the building later in that century. The pub passed through the hands of several breweries before being acquired by Thwaites in the 1990’s. The current interior format dates from a 1992 refurbishment and consists of three distinct areas. The front lounge, occupying the half-timbered older part of the building has an original fireplace and carved bay window overlooking the outside seating area. To the rear are two further seating areas around the central bar, and there is an upstairs function room. Mike and Suzana took on the pub seven years ago, and serve the core range of beers from the new Thwaites brewery, including Mild, Amber, Gold and IPA, together with up to three rotating guest beers usually with one from a local brewery. The pub opens from 10am to 11pm every day and food is available 12 to 9pm (4pm Sundays). The menu covers the usual pub favourites as well as pizzas, burgers, grills and roasts together with a selection of Czech specialities reflecting Mike and Suzana’s home town, Prague. The pub offers a cosy welcoming environment for weary travellers, shoppers and after work drinkers. We have arranged a social on Tuesday 12 November from 8.00pm to present the well- deserved award.