Recently two Sheffield pubs became part of the prestigious CAMRA Regional
Inventory of Pub interiors – The Friendship (Manchester Road, Stocksbridge)
and the New Barrack (Penistone Road, Hillsborough).
The New Barrack was a Duncan Gilmour’s pub which in 1936 was re-built when
the original stone built corner terrace pub was demolished and the footprint
extended into the next-door cottage, resulting in a larger building which
continued to utilise the original cellar. It has a striking exterior of red
brick and yellow terracotta with a brown glazed stone dado (the Rutland Arms
has a similar exterior). There are a number of original (or good copies) of
Gilmour’s exterior windows including ‘Gilmour’s Windsor’ and ‘Billiard
Room’. A three-quarter sized snooker table was removed about ten years ago.
The floor plan is little altered as can be confirmed by the original plans
in a frame on the wall of the smoke room.
On the staircase to the front door there is a Gilmour step. The lobby has a
terrazzo floor and wall tiling to two-thirds height in mainly a cream
colour. A door on the left leads to the tap room which has a terrazzo
floor, inter-war fixed seating, a good tiled, cast-iron and wood surround
fireplace with a stove in front of it. The bar counter is the original 1936
one but it has been moved slightly back as indicated by where the terrazzo
floor stops short of it and some new tiled floor.
The lobby bar also has a terrazzo floor, original curved counter but the bar
back fitting looks more modern. The bar area includes the remnants of an
off-sales hatch – the off sales door with its ‘Off Sales’ etched window is
situated in High House Terrace. The far left room door has the wording
‘Private’- it has always been a kitchen.
With the exception of the, now demolished, outside toilets, the 1936 floor
plan remains: a snug, with original bench seating, the original 1936
corridor bar, a large concert room and a smaller back room. Contrary to
many assumptions, the rear right room (now the pool room) despite having two
ceiling heights was part of the 1936 rebuild and is not a later addition.
The bar area includes the remnants of an off-sales hatch onto High House
To the rear was originally a yard which included outside toilets. The only
internal change of use is that the scullery has become the men’s toilet,
with the ladies a 2002 addition at the rear of the property.
The yard has become an attractive award-winning beer garden which has
further extended into the yard of the adjoining building. Until the early
1990’s, this neighbouring building included a shop which extended outwards
towards Penistone Road. This was demolished when the road was widened. At
that time, it was ‘Carter’s Sandwich Shop.’ The lounge displays some
original plans and various photographs. 2015 saw an extension, into what was
originally the neighbouring shop, and the creation of a new function room
with its own bar and toilets. The remainder of the building is used for
Duncan Gilmour and Company Limited were established in 1832. In 1891 they
were registered as a limited liability company. In 1901 three public houses,
including the New Barrack, were bought from the former Dearden’s brewery at
High House. Gilmours were acquired by Joshua Tetley and Son Ltd. in 1954
when they owned 144 licensed houses in Sheffield and 350, plus the Windsor
Brewery, in Liverpool. They ceased to brew by 1964. The New Barrack
remained a Tetley pub for a number of years. There then followed a period of
closure before it was taken on by, among others, Del Tilling and, later,
James Birkett. In 2002, the building was taken over by Nottingham-based,
Castle Rock, Steph. and Kevin Woods arriving, as ‘Managers,’ in 2003.
Twelve years later, in August 2015, they bought the business to become
independent and totally ‘free trade’.
– Dave Pickersgill and Mick Slaughter