The Anchor Inn can be found just outside Tideswell on the crossroads where the B6049 road from Great Hucklow to Tideswell meets the busy A623 Chesterfield to Manchester road. It is owned by Robinsons Brewery of Stockport and leased to Atlantik Inns, the company run by Rick Ellison that also operates the Old Hall Hotel in Hope, Peak Hotel in Castleton and Milton’s Tap in Buxton. It is a cosy country pub offering real ale, rum and home cooked food – plus it ticks the other boxes with an open fire and beer garden.
The Anchor was from early days a working farmstead, but because of its strategic position it developed into an Alehouse, becoming licensed in 1699. We might imagine it would have been a favourite stopping place for carriers, in packhorse days, but it became even more popular during the Turnpike Era. The road from Chapel en le Frith was turnpiked in 1749 as far as Peak Forest. This was extended in 1758 towards Chesterfield, and the Anchor stood at its crossing point with the turnpike from Sheffield to Buxton, leading to it becoming popular as a Coaching Inn. In 1788 the Sheffield Coach called here 3 times a week, and in 1800 the Buxton & Sheffield “Telegraph” likewise. Then in the early 19th century, for instance in 1835, Pigot’s Directory records the Champion (from Nottingham to Manchester) calling at the Anchor every day at 12:30, whilst its “sister” coach, the Champion from Manchester to Nottingham, passed through in the opposite direction at the same time.
This old pub was in need of something of a fettle including rewiring so the opportunity has been taken to close for a full renovation and refurbishment. We are told work has been progressing on schedule, keep an eye on their Facebook page for latest updates including the announcement of the reopening party! In the meantime, here is a gallery of the work going on there.
UPDATE! The bar reopens on Friday 8 April 5pm with the restaurant opening the following day.