‘ Real Heritage Pubs of the Midlands ‘
Following the success of the 2014 publication, ‘Yorkshire’s Real Heritage Pubs : Pub Interiors of Special Historic Interest,’ the latest book in the series will become available at the National CAMRA Members Weekend in Nottingham. The formal launch of this, the first-ever guide of its kind for the Midlands, is at the ‘Woodman,’ in Birmingham on 21st. April.
‘Real Heritage Pubs of the Midlands’ includes information on over 200 pubs.
They range from simple, rural ‘time-warp’ inns to ornate Victorian drinking palaces – plus intact interiors from the inter-war and later years, once taken for granted but now, increasingly rare. Included are a number of local entries, including: the ‘Hare and Hounds’ (Barlow), the ‘Royal Oak’
(Chesterfield) and ‘The Three Stags Heads’ (Wardlow Mires). The latter is sited to serve a road junction and used to double as a farm. The oldest buildings date from the seventeenth century and the higher, right-hand part was added in the nineteenth. There was no counter until the present one was installed in the 1940s.
Both books are available from the CAMRA shop, with reductions for members.
Also in hand is the creation of a local list of Sheffield pub interiors which, whilst not of national or regional importance, nevertheless contain elements of historic interest like some old fixtures and fittings or much of their original layout. Examples include: The ‘Friendship’ (Stocksbridge), The ‘New Barrack’ (Penistone Road), and The ‘Wellington’ (Shalesmoor). In addition, the ‘Royal Standard’ has recently revealed some original distinctive exterior tilework.
We welcome more examples of Sheffield pubs with distinctive historical features. Please email information to: email@example.com
Demolition of the Cannon Brewery
A recent planning application to Sheffield City Council is concerned with the proposed demolition of the Cannon Brewery. This was established in 1838 and acquired by William Stones in 1912. The brewery closed in 1999. Some of us remember participating in brewery trips the previous year.
However, the documentation included in the Planning Application to demolish includes the statement; ‘.. production was reduced and ceased in 1992. The buildings have been vacant ever since.’
We hope that this is not a reflection on the demolition company concerned and that demolition will occur in line with the suggested plan, not seven years early . or, perhaps, the buildings were vacant and, for seven years, no person was involved in the brewing of Stones ?