Pubs that are listed as Assets of Community Value (England only) require planning permission to be demolished or changed to any other use. In effect existing permitted development rights will be removed for pubs listed as ACVs for as long as the pub is on the local authorities list.
These landmark changes can be attributed to our continued campaign and to the thousands of CAMRA members who lobbied their MP to abolish permitted development rights for pubs. In a second landmark decision a First Tier Tribunal concluded that the London Borough of Lewisham were correct to conclude that a local CAMRA branch is a valid nominating body. As such, local CAMRA branches can now nominate pubs to be listed as Assets of Community Value in their name.
The planning changes and the tribunal decision could see CAMRA’s role in the Community Right to Bid process increase substantially and as a result of these changes CAMRA may have an even greater say in the future of pubs in England.
The changes laid before Parliament on 12th March 2015 came into force on 6th April 2015 and can summarised:
- Pubs listed as ACVs require planning permission to change their use or be demolished. This includes pubs already listed as ACVs.
- Planning permission will be required to change the use or demolish a pub from the point of nomination. CAMRA requested this to be included in the amendments and the Government obliged.
- Planning permission will be required for change of use and/or demolition for the period that the pub is listed: five years from the date of listing.
- As part of the changes, pub owners and developers will be required to ascertain whether pubs not on the asset list have actually been nominated. This must be done formally in writing.
- The local authority has 56 days to confirm whether the pub is listed or nominated. This means that the owner cannot change use or demolish a pub lawfully within the prescribed 56 day period.
As a result of these changes CAMRA urges members to nominate pubs to your local authority. Sheffield City Council information is available at: https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/in-your-area/report_request/community-assets.html
Please note that the nomination of a pub will prevent any immediate change of use or demolition.